One thing I have always loved about our house is that it is all light colors – grey and white mostly. Our fireplace has always really stood out because it was the only dark color in the whole house. So we decided to give it a little makeover.
In just under an hour and with less than $60 invested, we took our fireplace from this to this!
Here is how we did it:
- Start by taping off the area you want to paint and add a drop cloth to cover floors
- Clean and vacuum the brick. (I used a sponge and some vinegar/water cleaner.
- Mix 1 1/2 cup white paint (we used an eggshell finish) with 3 cups of water and stir (or 1 part water to 3 parts paint – we used a little more for a whiter look)
- For an even whiter look – use half paint and half water
- Grab an old T-shirt or rag and a paintbrush
- We chose to do 2-3 bricks at a time to keep everything even
- Paint brick with the mixture
- wipe with t-shirt or rag any access until it is the color you want
- Dab for texture instead of harsh lines
- Make sure to fill in grout lines with the paint mixture – you can do this first or as you go
- Continue with step 5 until all bricks are painted
- Let dry and remove the tape
Want to save this post for later? Be sure to pin these images!